You know vitamins are a group of organic, highly complex substances that are highly essential for the good health, normal growth and development as well as for reproduction. They are often described as organic chemical substances and are found only in things that are, or have been alive.
Vitamins are essential nutrients required by every single cell in the human body, every day to function optimally.
The plant can manufacture their own Vitamin for use but human beings can not manufacture and must be taken in daily through diet to meet the daily requirements.
What Are The Types Of Vitamins?
Vitamins are categorized into two.
- Water Soluble Vitamins – These are Vitamins that can easily dissolve in water and is needed in small quantity by the body and cannot be stored by the bod meaning that they must be ingested daily to meet up the daily body need. They are the B group of Vitamins(B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6, B7 (biotin), B12, Folic acid and Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid). Any portion of water-soluble Vitamins that is not used is immediately eliminated.
- Fat Soluble- Fat-soluble vitamins are those vitamins that can only dissolve in what is called organic solvents. What separate fat-soluble vitamins from water-soluble are, while water-soluble cannot be stored by the body and any extra must be eliminated, fat-soluble vitamins can be stored in the body for future use. Fat Soluble Vitamins are Vitamin A( Retinol and ß-Carotene), Vitamin D, E and K.
Unlike water-soluble Vitamins, Fat-Soluble vitamins can be stored in the body and overtime could be toxic to the body and that could damage some organs.
Importance Of Vitamins To The Body.
Vitamins and minerals are essential to the well being of the body and they play series of important functions in the body and are crucial to life itself.
Vitamins are directly involved in a number of very important life-sustaining activities in the body such as:
Enzyme Production – Cofactors or coenzymes from vitamins assist the enzymes in carrying out its metabolic activities. Coenzymes are small organic molecules gotten from Vitamins. Two popular coenzyme vitamins are thiamin and niacin and a deficiency of any of them can cause serious break down of health as activities of metabolism can be hampered.
Bone growth and Development – Vitamin D together with Calcium help in building and maintaining the health of the bone. Calcium helps build strong Bones while Vitamin D helps the body to properly absorb calcium into the body.
Vision – Vitamins are crucial for a healthy sight organ. While most people single out Vitamin A and Beta Carotene for being responsible for sight, B Vitamins are as important in vision as other vitamins as they are responsible for reducing the effects of amino acids that could lead to vision loss as well as being essential for circulation in the eyes.
Vitamin C according to research may help reduce the occurrence of cataract, protect eye cells from harmful substances, strengthen capillaries, and generally protect and improve the health of the eyes.
Digestion – Vitamins are important in the body including the digestive health. The B vitamins are especially vital in helping your digestive system process the protein you eat, according to NIH.
Tissue Repairs – Vitamins are crucial for the growth and repair of tissues in the body. Both Vitamins B and C are vital for the maintenance of body tissues, cartilage, bones, and teeth. Vitamins assist in accelerating wound healing and in forming scar tissues.
Other roles of Vitamins to the body include:
- Support general immune functions
- Prevent diseases Related to Vitamin deficiencies.
- Improve recovery from encounters with the virus such as the common cold virus.
- Assist the body organs in carrying out detoxification activities.
- Working alongside Zin, Vitamins stimulate and accelerate wound healing.
- Vitamins help with overall protection for optimum health
- They are even basic elements of our immune system where they can act as antioxidants against cancer-causing free radicals oxygens.
- Grandular activities and much more.
Vitamins are part of life as they are involved in many areas of the inner working of the body. You need them to live healthy and without them so many bodily functions will colapse.
Although some of these vitamins are needed in small quantities they are nonetheless important in sustaining life.
How Much Vitamins Do We Need?
Going forward, how much vitamin does the body really need to function optimally?
Overall, the amount of Vitamins or supplemental Vitamins needed by an individual at any time depends on a number of factors, including food choices, digestive ability, the level of exposure to environmental hazards, general health and even genetic background.
In other words, each person has their own individual Vitamin needs as no two persons has exactly the requirement.
However, to help combat disease and improve health, Further research into the role of Vitamins in fighting diseases leads to ‘Recommended Daily Allowances’ (RDA).
The significant of vitamins to human health became apparent through research into disease. That research has identified dietary deficiency diseases related to vitamins.
In fact, a prolonged deficiency of any vitamin will result in disease.
Some of the most well known diseases associated with Vitamin deficiencies are, Beriberi( a deficiency of Vitamin B1),Pellagra(deficiency of Niacin), Rickets(deficiency of Vitamin D), and Scurvy(deficiency of Vitamin C).
Can Vitamins Protect Our Bodies Against Disease?
More that ever before, research has shown more than enough that vitamins are heavily involved in the body’s defense system. We are more than aware through scientific evidences of the protection qualities of Vitamins.
Vitamins have the potential to shield the body from a number of disease or conditions so common in our society today.
Concern About The Vitamin Content In Our Food.
Growing Conditions, abuse during harvest or in transportation, storage, refining, Freezing, canning and cooking all are detrimental to the Vitamin contents the foods we eat today.
In most cases today, the handling of our food supply is too often beyond our control since we must relay on others to provide and protect the nutrient value of the food we buy, we can not be completely sure we are receiving all the Vitamins our bodies require to function optimally.
The solution here can be in Vitamins supplementation to ensure our bodies are getting sufficient quantities of the Vitamins necessary for good health.