Dietary or food supplements are substances taken as additional sources of nutrients other than the normal diet in order to further add one or more nutritional value otherwise lacking in our everyday diets. These supplements may be used to maintain an adequate intake of certain nutrients or to correct certain nutritional deficiencies. These dietary or food supplements may come in any of the following forms.
- Soft gels.
- gel caps.
- Liquids and
- Powder form.
They may contain ingredients like Vitamins, Minerals, Trace elements, Amino acids, herbs, a concentrate, metabolite, extract or a constituent.
Ordinarily, our diet ought to provide us with all the necessary nutrients needed to live a healthy, vibrant and balanced life but modern lifestyle couple with a depleted soil nutrients forcing farmers to use chemical fertilizers and the use of pesticide because of the menace of pest has left our foods with little nutrients hence the need to supplements.
Some Reasons Why It’s Important To Take Dietary Supplements.
Doctors and nutritionists believe that to stay healthy, one needs at least 60 minerals and nutrients in addition to all the essential vitamins, amino acids and fatty acids for optimal health and longevity. These nutrients need to be taken in the balanced proportion.
In as much as we try to eat a balanced diet, due to modern life factor and other environmental factors, we may not be able to achieve a diet containing all the 60 nutrients in the right quantities per day. At present, it is estimated that only 2%± widely consume a well-balanced diet.
In view of the above statements, it has become imperative that dietary supplementation is taken seriously if we are to enjoy a healthy life on earth.
…More Reasons To Take Dietary Supplements.
- Our Soil has been depleted of all the essential soil nutrients and farmers use chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides and these all add up to deplete our fruits and vegetables of nutrients.
- when the fruits and vegetables eventually arrive, they do not get to us fresh as they come.
- Most of the food we eat does not come fresh but are stored for some time before getting to us and modern storage and freezing deplete the nutrients contained in the food.
- Most cooking methods adopted destroy a larger portion of the nutrients in the food.
- Most cooking utensils are made up aluminum and aluminum, we all know deplete the food from valuable nutrients and is attributed to be the major cause of Alzheimer`s disease and memory loss.
- And again, refining as well as processing of food not only remove a large portion of nutrients but so is preservatives, colorants, and flavoring added to the food combine to pose a health risk to the consumers.
- The majority are fond of refined food and they eat it with a passion but alas, refined food lack fiber.
- 95% of people’s diet consists mainly of carbohydrate and that is a huge gap in balancing the diets daily recommended ratio.
- Our water no longer comes naturally as they have to be treated with chemical, chlorine which obviously has some risk factor.
- Smoking and alcoholism also deplete our bodies of vital nutrients.
- Inhaling of pollutants like gas, industrials fumes, and other toxic substances also ripe of bodies of some vital nutrients.
- What sugar in cane and refined foods also depletes the body of vitamins and nutrients.
I can go on and on to list reasons why we need to supplement our diets.
Regulating Dietary Dietary supplements.
In the USA, the FDA is saddled with the responsibility of regulating the activities of supplements manufacturers although producers of dietary supplements are not obligated to seek for FDA’s approval before putting their products on the market for sales. For the larger part, the work of FDA starts only when the product has entered the market, even so, Consumers and other health workers play a vital part in ensuring the standard is maintain as they have the responsibility to report any adverse reaction to the FDA.
In Europe, the European commission has a harmonized rule to ensure that supplements are properly labeled and the standard is maintained as regards to how much vitamins and minerals are contained in each dietary supplement.
How Much Dietary supplements Is Safe To Take?
Supplements should be taken according to the prescriptions on the label. By and large, it is safer to consult a professional health practitioner before taking any dietary supplement and also avoid abuse.